EA has really done it this time.

32 posts / 0 new
Last post
MrFawkes
MrFawkes's picture

Pro/Am
EA has really done it this time.

Aaaaaand... I'm through. I've had about enough of this game, and EA/FM as well. I've had enough of being given a goal and then having obstacles that I cannot control thrown in my face until I need to wait four hours to service my car because I'm not willing to spend the gold to fix it. If you're going to tell me that I have to hold 16th place without colliding, fine. Great. It's a challenge. However, if you give me that goal and then penalize me for overtaking a car that has gone off-track, which is unavoidable unless I want to slam on the brakes and fail the goal because the car behind me has just Maldonado'd its way up my tailpipe, then you've lost your integrity. If you tell me to hold position and not collide, don't let bots swerve into me in turn 1 or go off track so I can't help but overtake them. In other words, don't give me a penalty when I did nothing to incur it. It's bad game design, and even worse when the game model makes you wait for service on the car that was damaged when Mr. Last Place put his front wing into your rear tire. I'm honestly not sure whether EA/FM has just stopped caring about delivering actual gameplay or if it is trying to deliver a "real" experience with the random events it seems alright with allowing. I am convinced now that the former scenario is the case, because if EA/FM cared one bit about the realism or integrity of their game, then they would have done enough research to know that F1 cars do not have traction control to "turn off" as is done in Stage 11, according to the preview. They would know that you can't just upgrade the engine by increasing its bore or adding a bigger turbo, as doing so goes against every engine regulation in the book. They would know that rims and tyres in F1 aren't allowed to be replaced by upgraded replacements, and that there is a minimum weight that all cars must surpass, making any weight reductions done in the name of bodywork improvement useless because any competitive F1 car isn't going to have any weight to take off in the first place. I was honestly hoping that this challenge would mark the beginning of a new era for RR3 and EA/FM, as they would have to reduce service/upgrade times and categories to ones realistic for F1 (it does not take 12 hours to change tires in an F1 car, as the upgrade screen implies, nor does it require a half day to upgrade the catalytic converters as F1 cars do not carry catalytic converters). I overestimated EA/FM's respect for the sport. It's clear to anyone who's watched a second of an F1 session that RR3's interpretation of the sport is nothing more than a metric ton of crap. After getting the fastest lap in qualifying, you should start at the front of the grid, NOT last, or 16th, or anywhere but first. Formation laps generally do not involve cars diving down the inside to overtake. EA/FM has made a mockery of the fine sport of F1 racing. If they had to do F1, they should have stuck to the series as it is. They should have acquired licenses to at least a few F1 teams' cars so the opponents could be semirealistic. When they did Redline: Origins, they should have mentioned the feats of a real diver (Ascari, who actually won a championship, or anyone who drove the 375 F1) instead of those of Oscar Scarpellini, who as far as I can tell does not exist. Hell, I'm surprised that they only went with Ferrari for this challenge. Mercedes is also in the game, and would probably be better for marketing seeing as they just won both the WDC and the WCC. They could have thrown in McLaren cars, or put Lotus back in the game. If they had to stick with Ferraris only, they should have included actual iconic cars like Lauda's 312T or Schumi's F2004. Those are real Ferrari racing cars. The F14T is a shitbox that will go down in history as one of the worst Ferraris in a long time. EA/FM clearly cares less about doing justice to F1 than it cares about drawing gamers in and then shoving a pile of elephant dung into their faces so they'll buy ingame currency and keep the company going so it can rip more people off. At this point, I want little to do with EA/FM or RR3. If I wanted to put up with F1-related bullcrap, I would listen to Bernie Ecclestone talk about double points.

You must sign-in or register in order to view and reply to forum topics.