Endurance event discussion - Is there a formula?

42 posts / 0 new
Last post
MattO
MattO's picture

Legend

I think the endurance event is a really cool mix of traffic management and time trial.
As I see it the formula to the endurance event is based on these rules:
1) You can never exceed 90 seconds on your timer.
2) When you pass a car you gain 10 seconds. (Except for rule 1).
3) When you cross start/finish you gain seconds (based on track length?) I'll call "S/F boost". (See also Rule 1).
4) Off-track excursions are penalized by no distance being recorded.
5) Collisions and off-track excursions damage your car's performance.
6) The bots get better as the race progresses.

From those rules I draw these conclusions:
A) Never pass a car when you have more than 80 seconds on the clock. And always pass a car if you have less than 80 seconds.
B) When approaching start/finish line with a flush timer, do not pass cars within the "S/F boost" seconds of crossing start/finish line. Let the S/F boost carry you first and save that pass.
C) Try to never go off-track, skid or collide, TT-style. 
D) While your car's performance degrades the bots get better. (See C)

To put these conclusions more colorfully;
 never let your timer go yellow (over 90 sec.) and 
 never let your distance counter go red (off-track).

With all that in mind, my strategy is to push hard off the start to pass the first few cars ASAP until you reach 80+ seconds on the timer. After that start timing your passes. Hold back and time your passes just right so you launch past the next car with just 79 or 80 seconds left on the timer. Whenever your timer falls below 80 or there are no cars ahead that is when it becomes a time trail. Then push, push, push, but stay on track and no skids. New cars will appear less often the farther you get, but if you follow the no-yellow/red rules, new cars will begin to appear. They have to... Or the event is not winnable.

My thinking is that, programmatically, as long as you never waste a second (yellow timer) or give an inch (red distance counter) you are maximizing your performance against the clock.... Then all you need to do is drive really, really well in the TT sections.

Comments, rebuttals and tips encouraged! 

You must sign-in or register in order to view and reply to forum topics.