Restoring Prior Versions of RR3 - iOS Only

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
ExTexan
ExTexan's picture

Legend
Team MAR: 1
Restoring Prior Versions of RR3 - iOS Only

In response to Chevy's query quoted below, I moved that discussion here so as not to hijack the 3.4 Update thread any further.  Besides, I figured this information would be useful to others and would be easier to find if it was in its own thread.

I saw comments from others in that thread saying you just need to make sure the version you want is in your iTunes library, then sync to iTunes.  Well that probably needs some elaboration too.  And I don't profess to be the expert on this, so please feel free to join in and add to the discussion.

From what I know, just copying an .ipa file into the iTunes Mobile Applications folder won't do what you want.  I don't know if that's what I did way back when, but I ended up with an extra RR3 v1.5 .ipa file that iTunes doesn't recognize.  So here are the steps I think are needed...

1. Make sure you have an iFunBox backup of your current data so you can get back to the current version of RR3 in case this doesn't work.  Also, if you never launched the newer version of RR3, the data files from RR3 should match the version you need to restore if you are able to revert to a previous version.
  2. On your iDevice, delete RR3.
  3. Sync your device to iTunes.  [Just to be sure, look in the Moblie Applications folder to make sure RR3 is gone.]  In my own experience, I sometimes need to sync to iTunes two or more times to get it to do everything it needs to do.
  4. In iTunes, select File / Add File to Library, and select the .ipa you want to use.  On my Windows laptop, I have to press the Alt key in order to see the menu with the "File" option - but I could also just press Ctrl-O (probably Cmd-O on Mac).
  5. Sync your device to iTunes.  This should put the desired version back on your device.
  6. iFunBox restore the data files (Documents folder) that matches the version of RR3 you just installed.

'61ChevyImpala wrote:
ExTexan wrote:
'61ChevyImpala wrote:

My only concern is accidentally hitting the "update all" button in the App Store. That would be a disaster. Wish there were a way to prevent that :(

Before that happens, sync to iTunes, then make a copy your 3.3 .ipa file - which you'll find in the Mobile Applications folder of wherever your iTunes folder is.  Then if you accidentally update, you can delete RR3 and (hopefully) restore the 3.3 version.  Just make sure you don't load the newer version of RR3 - that would update the RR3 files, making them incompatible with any previous version.

I understand the concept but need a little clarification as to how to get the 3.3.1 release back up and running. I found and made a copy of the "Real Racing 3 3.3.1.ipa" file on my iMac. If I accidentally d/l ver 3.4, I definitely will not run it. I don't quite understand then how to get the 3.3.1 version back on my iPad. Sorry to bug you but can either of you give me a more detailed explanation of how that's done? Thanks!!

You must sign-in or register in order to view and reply to forum topics.