The F40 at LeMans - a challenging combination

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
Marty DC
Marty DC's picture

Legend
The F40 at LeMans - a challenging combination

My profile tells me that I've raced the F40 836 times and I'm sure that most of those times it's been in the last race of the "Classic Ferrari Showdown" series.  This is my "farming" event because it's 4 laps and can be done in under 15 minutes.  I just don't have the attention span for those 10 lappers.  But there's another reason I like this race and that's the F40.  From what I've read, in real life this was a terrifying car to drive.  I think the monkees have captured it well.  

Most of the modern cars in RR3 are well balanced.  Their brakes can slow them down in very short distances and their handling make them easy to stay out of trouble. No one would describe the F40 as "well balanced"!  It's way overpowered for both its brakes and suspension and it's very easy to run yourself off almost any of the LeMans curves.  I've always been too cheap to spend the 60G on the last upgrade so I run the car at a PR of 58.  More power is the last thing I need!

I keep track of my best 40 times.  My median lap time is 3:37 and my median race time is 14:46.  Practice has not improved by times. My best time (3:34/14:29) was run in Sept, 2017 and I've never gotten close to that time again.  I have no idea how I did it.  For me to get under 3:37 I have to get thru every curve perfectly.  One slip in a lap and I'm at 3:40.  

So if your getting bored with all those race cars that feel like they are on a rail,  go back and give the old F40 a run.

You must sign-in or register in order to view and reply to forum topics.